North Carolina does not accept other states Peer Support Certifications.
Please follow the Certification Application process below:
Individuals meeting the eligibility, training and application criteria must complete and submit the following documentation for certification:
- Application Process checklist form
- North Carolina Peer Support Specialist Application form
- Two (2) Personal Reference Forms (the submission requirements for Personal Reference Forms are included in the Instructions on the forms)
- A valid certificate showing successful completion of a Division approved 40 hour Peer Support Specialist training
- Training Log Form and certificate(s) of successful completion of 20 hours of training that will help the peer specialist understand the job and be successful with peers (Training such as, but not limited to, Wellness Recovery Action Planning, Person Centered Thinking, Personal Assistance in Community Existence (PACE), Crisis Prevention). Applicants can also use course work if related to the work of NC CPSS and will enhance the ability to provide services to people with mental health and/or substance use disorder. The applicant must submit an official transcript for review with the application.
- Signed copy of NC CPSS Code of Ethics document.
- Evidence of level of education (eg. Copy of High School Diploma, copy of GED Certificate, or Degree, or Official Transcript (sealed and signed by the college).
- Optional: If applicant has a work history and is willing to share this, please complete Part V of the application. If not, skip these sections.
A $15.00 check or money order made out to “PSS-BHS” must be included in the application packet.
The complete application packet and check or money order is mailed to:
Peer Support Specialist Registry
Behavioral Health Springboard
School of Social Work
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
325 Pittsboro Street Campus Box #3550
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599-3550
Once an application has been received, reviewed and approved it will be processed within 3-5 business days. To check the status of your certification / re-certification please visit the Credential Verification page and search your name to verify.