8/21 NOTICE: The NC Certified Peer Support Specialist Program staff will be on a break the week of August 24th. We will resume processing of applications the week of August 31st. During the break, you may continue to mail your certification and recertification applications to the address on the application form, and we will process them upon our return.
Thank you for understanding, the NCCPSS Program Staff.
North Carolina does not accept other states Peer Support Certifications. Please follow the Certification Application process below:
Applicants who failed to submit recertification application packets in the allotted time (before the expiration date listed on their current certificate) are required to reapply for certification using the initial application. This means you will not be allowed to submit the recertification application. As of July 1, 2020 if your certification has lapsed you will be required to take the NC 40 hour Peer Support Specialist training. To complete the certification process if your certificate has lapsed you will submit the following documentation:
- Initial application complete with recovery statement
- Proof of 20 hours adult Substance Abuse/Mental Health related training completed after the date of previous certification (if using related college courses, official transcript is required)
- Evidence of level of education (eg. Copy of High School Diploma, Copy of GED Certificate, or Degree, or Official Transcript (sealed and signed by college).
- Two reference letters from persons who have known you at least 1 year in accordance with guidelines
- Signed Peer Support Specialist Ethics form
- Copy of NC Peer Support Specialist 40-hr training certificate completed within the past 2 years
- Certification fee of $20.00 payable to PSS-BHS
Mail all documents to the address below:
Peer Support Specialist Registry
Behavioral Health Springboard
School of Social Work
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
325 Pittsboro Street Campus Box #3550
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599-3550
If you have questions please call 919-843-3018
or email firstname.lastname@example.org