05/11/2020 COVID-19 Update Regarding Application Processing:
The NC Certified Peer Support Specialist program resumed the processing of applications effective May 11, 2020. Applications for certification can be mailed to the address on the application form. Please note that processing time will be longer as a result of the limited access to the office and the likely influx of applications.
All Certified Peer Support Specialists that have a renewal date in March and April are encouraged to submit their recertification by May 31st.
Questions/Concerns you can call our regular office number: 919-843-3018. Thank you for your understanding in this difficult situation - NCCPSS Registry Team.
North Carolina does not accept other states Peer Support Certifications. Please follow the Certification Application process below:
Applicants who failed to submit recertification application packets in the allotted time (before the expiration date listed on their current certificate) are required to reapply for certification using the initial application. This means you will not be allowed to submit the recertification application. You will not be required to repeat the 40 hour Peer Support training. To complete the certification process if your certificate has lapsed you will submit the following documentation:
- Initial application complete with recovery statement
- Proof of 20 hours adult Substance Abuse/Mental Health related training completed after the date of previous certification (if using related college courses, official transcript is required)
- Evidence of level of education (eg. Copy of High School Diploma, Copy of GED Certificate, or Degree, or Official Transcript (sealed and signed by college).
- Two reference letters from persons who have known you at least 1 year in accordance with guidelines
- Signed Peer Support Specialist Ethics form
- Copy of previous NC Peer Support Specialist 40-hr training certificate
- Certification fee of $20.00 payable to PSS-BHS
Mail all documents to the address below:
Peer Support Specialist Registry
Behavioral Health Springboard
School of Social Work
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
325 Pittsboro Street Campus Box #3550
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599-3550
If you have questions please call 919-843-3018
or email email@example.com