NC Certified Peer Support Specialists are required to renew their certification every two years.
The criteria for recertification are as follows:
- Applicants must have evidence of continuous and current recovery as demonstrated by having two (2) individuals complete and submit Personal Reference Forms according to state requirements.
- Applicants must have certificates documenting the completion of 20 hours of training (continuing education and/or in-service) pertaining to their ongoing skill development and service delivery every two years.
Applicants failing to submit recertification application packets in the allotted time are required to reapply for certification using the initial full application process. This means you will not be allowed to use the recertification application process and you are required to apply as an initial applicant. You will be allowed to use your initial 40 hours state approved training in this application process.
To avoid any form of penalty that may occur due to your being out of compliance with possible state and federal guidelines, please submit your recertification application by the required deadline. We cannot retroactively date applications submitted late for review.
All NC Certified Peer Support Specialists will receive an email with a Recertification Notice 60-90 days prior to the expiration date on their certificate. Failure to submit a complete Recertification Packet by the end date of the current certification will result in the loss of Certification as a Peer Support Specialist in North Carolina.
A complete recertification packet will include all of the following:
- Completion of the Recertification Checklist
- Completion of Recertification Application
- Two (2) completed Personal Reference Forms (the submission requirements for Personal Reference Forms are found in the Instructions on the forms themselves)
- Training certificates (copies) from continuing education program or official transcripts (sealed and signed by the college)
- Veteran or Military Service Member Designation Requirements (optional)
- Signed copy of the NCCPPS Code of Ethics document
- A $15.00 check or money order made out to PSS-BHS must be included in the Recertification Packet.
The complete recertification packet and check or money order is mailed to:
Peer Support Specialist Registry
Behavioral Health Springboard
School of Social Work
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
325 Pittsboro Street Campus Box #3550
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599-3550