NOTICE: The NC Certified Peer Support Specialist Program staff will be on a break the week of December 21st. We will resume processing applications the week of January 4th. During the break, you may continue to mail your certification and recertification applications to the address on the application form, and we will process them upon our return. Thank you for understanding.
The NCCPSS Program Staff.
North Carolina does not accept other states Peer Support Certifications. Please follow the Certification Application process below:
NC Certified Peer Support Specialists are required to renew their certification every two years.
The criteria for recertification is as follows:
- Applicants must have certificates documenting the completion of 20 hours of training (continuing education and/or in-service) pertaining to their ongoing skill development and service delivery every two years.
Applicants failing to submit recertification application packets in the allotted time are required to reapply for certification using the initial full application process. This means you will not be allowed to use the recertification application process and you are required to apply as an initial applicant. Your 40-hour course training certificates must be within two years of completing the training i.e., two years starting from the date of training completion as recorded on the approved 40-hour course training certificate.
To avoid any form of penalty that may occur due to your being out of compliance with possible state and federal guidelines, please submit your recertification application by the required deadline. We cannot retroactively date applications submitted late for review.
As a courtesy, all NC Certified Peer Support Specialists will receive an email with a Recertification Notice 60-90 days prior to the expiration date on their certificate. Failure to submit a complete Recertification Packet by the end date of the current certification will result in the loss of Certification as a Peer Support Specialist in North Carolina.
A complete recertification packet will include all of the following (Updated 6/10/2020):
- Completion of the Recertification Checklist
- Completion of Recertification Application
- Two (2) completed Personal Reference Forms (the submission requirements for Personal Reference Forms are found in the Instructions on the forms themselves)
- Training certificates (copies) from continuing education program or official transcripts (sealed and signed by the college) (Training such as, but not limited to, Wellness Recovery Action Planning, Person-Centered Thinking, Personal Assistance in Community Existence (PACE), Crisis Prevention). A maximum of eight (8)hours of training related to children and families will be accepted. Applicants can also use college credits(if related mental health or substance use disorder or human services) and must submit an official transcript for the credits to be counted for 20 hours within the past 2 years.
- Veteran or Military Service Member Designation Requirements (optional)
- A Signed Copy of the NCCPPS Code of Ethics document
- A $20.00 Cashier's check or money order made out to PSS-BHS must be included in the Recertification Packet. Or pay online.
Please note, due to the high influx of applications and limited access to the office; processing time will be between 10-15 business days on receipt of an application packet. To check the status of your certification/recertification, please visit the Credential Verification page and search your name to verify.
The complete recertification packet and check or money order are mailed to:
Peer Support Specialist Registry
Behavioral Health Springboard
School of Social Work
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
325 Pittsboro Street Campus Box #3550
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599-3550