North Carolina does not accept other State's Peer Support Certifications. Please follow the certification application process from this link: NCCPSS Certification:
Individuals meeting the eligibility, training and application criteria must complete and submit the following documentation for certification:
- Application Process checklist form
- North Carolina Peer Support Specialist Application form
- Two (2) Personal Reference Forms (the submission requirements for Personal Reference Forms are included in the Instructions on the forms)
- A valid certificate showing successful completion of a Division approved 40 hour Peer Support Specialist training (all approved 40-hour course training certificates submitted for certification must be within two years of completing the training i.e., two years starting from the date of training completion as recorded on the approved 40-hour course training certificate).
- Training Log Form and certificate(s) of successful completion of 20 hours of training that will help the peer specialist understand the job and be successful with peers (Training such as, but not limited to, Wellness Recovery Action Planning, Person-Centered Thinking, Personal Assistance in Community Existence (PACE), Crisis Prevention). If lapsed in the past, training must occur after the last certification or recertification date. A maximum of eight (8)hours of training related to children and families will be accepted. Applicants can also use course work if related to the work of NCCPSS and will enhance the ability to provide services to people with mental health and/or substance use disorder. The applicant must submit an official transcript for review with the application.
Veteran Service Member or Military Service Member designation requirements. Provide a copy of DD 214 form OR Military ID.
A signed copy of the NC CPSS Code of Ethics document.
- Evidence of the level of education (eg. Copy of High School Diploma, copy of GED Certificate, or Degree, or Official Transcript (sealed and signed by the college).
- Optional: If the applicant has a work history and is willing to share this, please complete Part V of the application. If not, skip these sections.
- A $20.00 Cashier's check or money order made out to “PSS-BHS” must be included in the application packet. OR pay online.
The complete application packet and check or money order is mailed to:
Peer Support Specialist Registry
Behavioral Health Springboard (Suite 469)
School of Social Work
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
325 Pittsboro Street Campus Box #3550
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599-3550
Please note, due to the high influx of applications and limited access to the office; processing time will be between 10-15 business days on receipt of an application packet. To check the status of your certification/recertification, please visit the Credential Verification page and search your name to verify.