The NCCPSS Program requires the owner and trainer of an approved 40-hour course to strive for at least 8 or more in a class as it is recognized that this provides an ideal learning experience. The following requirements address the floor of what will be accepted regarding the trainer-to-participant ratio:
- Each class must have a minimum of five participants present on the first day of training;
- Classes with only one approved 40-hour course trainer must be limited to a maximum of 15 participants;
- If a class size is more than 15 participants, the NCCPSS program requires the owners of approved 40-hour courses to have two certified 40-hour course trainers;
- If attrition occurs between registration and first day of class bringing the number of training participants under five, the class will need to be cancelled; and
- This policy must be stated on the application form and communicated to applicants.
The NCCPSS Program requires the owner of an approved 40-hour course to provide a full and complete refund to a training participant if any of the following occur:
- A class is cancelled in advance by the course owner;
- A class cannot be completed by the training entity due to unforeseen circumstances (e.g., weather event, sickness, etc.);
- A training participant withdraws in writing at least three weeks before the first day of class; or
- Other unforeseen circumstances where justice requires a refund (extenuating medical circumstances where immediate communication is not available)
The NCCPSS Program requires refunds to be issued and sent out to a training participant within ten business days of notice of withdrawal or class cancellation.
Making up Missed Sections of a NCCPSS Program Approved 40-hour Course
The NCCPSS program requires the owner/trainer of an approved 40-hour course to provide a minimum of 40 hours of instruction to training participants before issuing a certificate of completion to the training participant. To ensure that the trainer offers a minimum of 40 hours of instruction to training participants:
- A training participant can miss up to three hours of course time over the approved 40-hour course.
- If a training participant misses more than 3 hours course time, they will be asked to retake the training in the future.
- The training applicant who missed the 3 hour course time will need to reapply and pay for the future class.
- Training participant attendance must be tracked in class.
- Training participants will sign an attendance sheet in the morning and after the lunch break.
- Sign in sheets will be kept by the owner of the approved 40-hour course for two years.
- A training participant cannot be enrolled in another training scheduled for the same dates of the approved 40-hour course. The NCCPSS Program prohibits owners or trainers of an approved 40-hour course from awarding provisional certificates when training participants do not complete a minimum of 40 hours of training. The NCCPSS Program also prohibits owners or trainers of an approved 40-hour course from combining an approved 40-hour course with other classes at a reduced rate and time commitment.
The NCCPSS program requires the owner or trainer of an approved 40-hour course to contact registrants of an approved 40-hour training and the NCCPSS Program (submitted in writing) within 48 hours of canceling an approved 40-hour training. If a class must be cancelled, the owner of the approved 40-hour course will contact training participants by phone or verified email contact, and the training participant confirms receipt of the notice. In addition, the owner of the approved 40-hour course will send a follow-up email providing training participants with options to participate in a later class or receive a refund. If there is an excessive number of classes being cancelled by the owner of the approved 40-hour course, the NCCPSS Program will follow-up to inquire and support training program stability.