04/2019 - NEW - The course developers forms (download package) has now offered in MS Word format for easier editing and completion, see the download tab or the zip package at the bottom of this page.
On July 2, 2018 the requirements and procedure for submitting a new 40 hour Peer Support Specialist Training Course changed significantly. Please review carefully the new information found below. Be sure to explore the tabs, and drop-down buttons and links to understand the process fully.
NEW 2018 - Download the Course Developer's Infographic, it provides a printable and easy illustration of the process.
New Courses Are Accepted Twice a Year
The submission periods will be the first week in April (1st-7th) and the first week in October (1st-7th) of each year.
Please visit the Submit Tab to submit your electronic course files.
Submission period for new courses is closed.
Next submission period will open October, 1-7, 2019
Course Submission Process:
The course developer must provide 3 hard/paper copies (in 3 ring binders) of the Instructor’s Manual and additional materials (PowerPoints slide presentation and addendum) and one electronic copy of all documents listed below in MS Word, PowerPoint, or compatible file types (Open Office or downloaded Google Documents would all be acceptable).
|Submission & Evaluation Tool||3||1|
|Flash Drive, DVD, Video, Audio||3||1|
|Training of Trainers (TOT Manual)||3||1|
A course submission fee of $ 800.00
All NC CPSS Course Submission and Evaluation Guideline materials must be submitted via certified mail. Failure to submit the entire packet according to established guidelines will delay course review.
The Process (click each title below to expand the topic)
Download the new Course Developer's Infographic - provides an easy to visualize overview of all the steps and process.
- Course is received by Behavioral Health Springboard from course developer/course owner
- Course packet is reviewed at BHS (Behavioral Health Springboard) confirming content is submitted in the format established by the North Carolina Division of Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities and Substance Abuse Services
- Courses meeting the minimum requirements (meaning packet is complete and submitted in the proper format) will be mailed to the review team for initial review
Information listed in bullets below can be submitted with initial mailing packet or after approval, but prior to posting online as an approved course (original documents):
a. Brief course description
b. Trainers Registry
c. Code of Ethics form (signed)
d. Brief bibliography for each NCCPSS approved by Course Developer/Course Owner to instruct the course
e. Approved course is now placed on NCCPSS website at: https://pss.unc.edu/courses
- A team of three (NCCPSS, NC DMH/DD/SAS, and BHS) are assigned to review each course
- Review team (NCCPSS, state employee and BHS representative) complete independent reviews
- Once course has been reviewed, the reviewers convene to discuss the course. Each domain and activity is reviewed to ensure they have met the standards established by the DMHDDSAS.
- All courses will be reviewed within 30-45 workdays upon receipt of hard copies and course developers will be informed if the team is unable to complete the review within the stated time.
- Course developers will be notified by email informing them their course has met standards established by the NC DMH/DD/SAS. This notification will include review tool results.
- Certificate is generated and mailed to Course Developer/ Course Owner with appropriate documentation (Brief course description, trainers registry, and Code of Ethics form). Course is listed as an approved course at: https://pss.unc.edu
- All approved courses are subject to monitoring by staff of The North Carolina Division of Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities and Substance Abuse Services.
- Results are emailed to Course Developer/Course Owner
- Conference Call/ZOOM meeting will be offered to the Course Developer for review of results. Coaching will be provided to assist developers in making the revisions identified during the initial review.
- Course Developer/Course Owner will resubmit modifications with-in 30 work days from date emailed by the review team
- All course resubmissions must be submitted within 30 workdays after receiving Evaluator Summary Comments from our review team
- Modifications are submitted to BHS utilizing same protocol as initial submission
- BHS will mail modifications to each reviewer
- Modifications are independently reviewed
- Review team will establish time to discuss modifications
- Course Approval or Course Modifications will be determined
- Course Developer/Course Owner are notified of results
- If needed a follow-up conference call can be established. Course developer will be allowed one submission and two revisions to meet standards.
- Courses that fail to meet criteria may resubmit during the next period for course submission as a new entry.
Courses not approved within One Year of submission will require resubmission with the required fees ($800)
- Brief description of the course (one paragraph to one page) submitted in Word document
- Trainers Registry, Code of Ethics Form (if not initially submitted in initial packet with course)
- Brief bio for each trainer approved by Course Developer/Course Owner submitted electronically in Word document
- Approved course is now placed on NCCPSS website at: https://pss.unc.edu/courses
- All appeals should be submitted in writing
Appeals are submitted to:
Tara L. Bohley, LMFT, MPA
Clinical Assistant Professor/Director Behavioral Health Springboard
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - School of Social Work
325 Pittsboro Street, CB 3550
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3550
Course Submission and Evaluation Guide:
NCCPSS courses undergo an evaluation process to help ensure quality and appropriate training materials, incorporating nine domains. Please download and complete the Course Submission and Evaluation Guide below.
Train The Trainer:
All courses submitted for approval as NCCPSS course will require a Training of the Trainers (TOT) process. Course developers must include their TOT manual and materials when submitting a course for approval. Please download and complete the NC CPSS Training of Trainers Guide below.
After Course is Approved: Trainer Documents
NCCPSS course developers need to register their trainers with the North Carolina Certified Peer Support Program.
Trainer Code Of Conduct:
NCCPSS Trainers are asked to sign the Trainer Code of Conduct:
- Remember to mail in 3 hard copies (of your course materials and 3 hard copies of the two completed guides referenced above) to the address below.
- Remember to include your course submission payment in your packet: $800.00 money order made payable to "PSS-BHS"
Please Mail Three Hard Copies To:
Peer Support Specialist Registry
Behavioral Health Springboard
School of Social Work
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
325 Pittsboro Street Campus Box #3550
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599-3550